12 September 2008

Are you effing kidding me?

If you weren't already aware, there's a massive hurricane set to make landfall somewhere very near Houston. My parents live in Galveston County, which is looking like ground zero for this thing. They're already in Austin, with their cats in tow.

And that's what this post is about....Austin.

Look at this image capture from weather.com:Are you fucking kidding me? Austin is surrounded by clouds that are being spun off one of the biggest hurricanes (400 miles across) we've ever seen. And yet the clouds break up when they get to Austin and reform on the other side.

Before I continue, I should assure you I don't mean to be glib. I realize this hurricane will take an enormous toll. As I said, everything my parents own is currently its immediate path. That's my point. This massive thing, which could decimate half the Texas coast and continue to wreak havoc as is travels north across the state, might not bring a single raindrop to the only part of Texas still under extreme drought conditions.

Yesterday we had a 100% chance of rain forecast for Saturday. Today that forecaster seems less sure of him/herself, and the chances are 60%. I bet that by tomorrow we'll see 20% chance, but no actual rain.

Did I mention our rainfall totals are roughly 9 inches below average for the year?

Here's our drought index map, for anyone interested.

I live in hell.

No comments: